Saturday, June 18, 2011

Field Trip in Rome


This weekend was a whirlwind.  In two and a half days we managed to explore the Colosseum, the Pantheon, the Roman Forum, Piazza Novona, Piazza Campo da Fiori, Vatican City and the Vatican Museums, Trastevere and the Jewish Ghetto (again), and climbed to the top of the dome of St. Peter’s Basilica.  Phew!

The whole weekend was so packed with activities that I barely had any time to miss home.  My group got along really well and four of us were able to break away from our larger group of 17 to explore on our own.  Since I had so much fun in Trastevere and the Ghetto we decided to go there so I could “show them around”.
                                                  
Two highlights from our free afternoon were in these neighborhoods.  First, we ate a café that I gone to a couple days before and had great panini and wine.  It was located just far enough from the Colosseum so that it wasn’t a tourists trap.  When we arrived we were actually the only tourists there. 

The waiter was very friendly and offered us free sparkling water, dolce, and cappuccino.  We couldn’t have started our trek through the city on a better note.  I think my classmates had the type of moment I had on the bus a few days prior while we were sitting in that little café.  I had it all over again too.  I love the simple pleasure of enjoying a nice coffee, strolling from place to place and letting it all soak in.  

The second highlight took place in the center of the Jewish Ghetto.  Just beyond the “Bah-Ghetto” restaurant we noticed that some children were running around covered in shaving cream.  Naturally we all flocked to the scene and after speaking to one of the moms we found out that it was the last day of school and the kids just decided to celebrate by having a little fun.  Their smiles and laughter were contagious and we were on cloud nine for the rest of the afternoon.  We spent the rest of the afternoon happily exhausting..  My feet were in so much pain and they still are.  But I don’t care and I am not putting on my disgusting tourists shoes if it’s the last thing I do. 

Here are some other photo highlights of all of our field trips. 

Now we are off to Siena, but first we will visit an Etruscan tomb.  I think I’m going like it..  How about you?

It was all very exhausting and I am so happy to leave Rome and get to my new home.



Piazza Navona


Maria and Luca.  i heart them.


Pantheon



Vatican Museum


St. Peter's Basilica


Atop the St. Peter's Basilica Dome



Coloseo



the best tour guide ever.





kiddies.


First Roman dinner at Orso Ottanto



group pic.




love Rome but happy leave.


No comments:

Post a Comment